Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Don't worry 'bout a thing.


I seem to be seeing "Three Little Birds" everywhere these days, and maybe it is my soft spot for the classic reggae song, but whenever I see a trio of birds, I suddenly feel happy.  I haven't noticed the trend elsewhere yet, but I am seeing them all over the Fair Trade world.  A few of my favorites include:
$24, tenthousandvillages.com, Haiti
The papier mache Shore Birds from Haiti, available through Ten Thousand Villages, come in three color combinations and have lovely hand-painted details.
The town of Jacmel, Haiti has a long history in the papier-mâché artistic tradition, driven largely by mask-making for Carnival celebrations. Innovative twists and new forms, like the newspaper and water color used in this bird, create work for artisans and opportunities for their families. Ten Thousand Villages' order of these shore birds allowed artisan Raphael Christin to invest money for the education of his three children.

 



Also from Haiti, in classic metalwork art come a variety of birds in numerous sizes, styles and prices.  Available through FTF member Beyond Borders, they start at $8 each and look beautiful arranged in flight on a wall.

I have always loved these Freestanding Wire-wrapped Birdies from Serrv. The set of three sells for $22 and are made, quite appropriately, by the artisans of Noah’s Ark.  (Also available as a set of two, from Mira Fair Trade $21)
I love my pretty and very sturdy set of ceramic bird hooks from Asha Handicrafts, in India.  On either side of my closet, one holds my robe and the other serves to display my choice of jewelry for the day.  The third lives happily next to the fridge for kitchen towels.  $16 through Serrv. 

 
The first thing I plan to buy for my new home is this Chulucanas Songbirds lamp from Ten Thousand Villages.  It combines three of the things I love decorating with: watery blue, simple black silhouettes, and animal themes, into one gorgeous piece.  I only wish it were a vase so I could fill it with an armful of fresh forsythia branches.

No comments:

Post a Comment