Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sick Day


It is that time of year again, time for the weird summer cold that will eventually build up my immunity in the best possible way, but currently is making me wish for the over-the-counter drugs I've all but banned from my life.  I don't get sick often, but when I do I seem to make up for all my my healthy days by being out of commission longer than I would care for.  One day in bed seems a bit luxurious, but after three days of being in bed with achy bones, sinus pressure throughout my head, and a throat so dry it even hurts to swallow herbal tea, I am finally feeling up to a little internet therapy.  If you find yourself in a similar condition, here are a few things that make me feel better when I'm under the weather.

An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but according to a Chinese proverb, 'drinking a daily cup of tea will surely starve the apothecary'.  Hot tea is restorative and comforting, and just the thing when you're feeling poorly.  My favorite is Equal Exchange's antioxidant-rich Vanilla Rooibos, which is low in tannins and easy on the tummy.

Aside from tea, there is nothing better than soup when you're ailing, and if you aren't exactly up to making your Grandma's recipe from scratch, there are a few easier options available.  The Women's Bean Project has several ready-to-make options and their Spicy Split Pea is one of my new favorites.  Yeah, I know, Split Pea....just trust me on this one.

  
A hot aromatherapy bath does wonders when I'm achy and under the weather.  I usually add several drops of lavender and eucalyptus to my soaking water, but I like Thistle Farms bath tea when I need a little extra something.  

Although the thought of getting out of your sick bed to wash, dry, and put back on your sheets and blankets when you aren't feeling well is right up there with colonic irrigation, both not at all enjoyable during the process, but afterward, both strangely make one feel infinitely better when shedding icky germs.  So I finally dragged myself to the laundry room yesterday and when I had redressed my bed and crawled back in, I was surprised at what a difference a clean bed makes on one's attitude.  Coyuchi has soft and sturdy organic cotton sheets, duvets, and blankets in soothing earthy colors.  I have had their "Honeycomb" throw for about 5 years now, and I still can't believe the quality...definitely worth what I paid for it, and the perfect weight for a cozy cotton blanket.


I hate to admit that my sick-day wardrobe is usually something baggy, soft, and so old it is falling apart so I don't mind if I get snot, soup, or germs on it, but if you are one of those people who can feel better by looking better, I covet your ability...and the robes and caftans from Rupalee.  


No comments:

Post a Comment